Preparing for the CPHQ Exam
HQCC recommends you review the preparation resources when considering preparation materials. Study programs should be based on individual needs, but most candidates with healthcare quality experience should plan to spend 6 weeks to 3 months in preparation. CPHQ preparation materials are offered to support a variety of learning styles including live courses; online education; practice exams; and books to help prepare those planning to sit for the CPHQ certification exam.
NAHQ has developed a suite of products designed specifically to aid healthcare quality professionals in preparing for the CPHQ exam.
NAHQ's suite of prep products include
- HQ Solutions: Resource for the Healthcare Quality Professional (Fourth Edition)
- CPHQ Review Course
- CPHQ Practice Exam
Examination questions are written from a wide variety of publications and resources in the field. Some suggested preparation for the examination might include but should not be limited to the following resources:
- The Janet A. Brown Healthcare Quality Handbook: A Professional Resource and Study Guide 30th Edition, Brown, Janet A. and Mellott, Susan (2018)
- Essentials of Managed Health Care (6th ed, 2013) , edited by Peter R. Kongstvedt.
- Facilitating with Ease, Ingrid Bens (2018)
- Preventing Medication Errors, Institute of Medicine. (2007).
- Understanding Patient Safety, Robert Wachter. (2017).
- Storytelling with Data, Cole N. Knaflic (2015)
- The Quality Toolbox, Nancy Tague. (2010).
- Lean Six Sigma Pocket Toolbook, Michael George, David Rowlans, Mark Price, & John Maxey. (2005).
- The Memory Jogger™ 2, 2nd edition. Michael Brassard, (2010). www.goalqpc.com
- The Healthcare Quality Book: Vision, Strategy, and Tools (3rd ed.) Maulik S Joshi, and Elizabeth R. Ransom (2014) ISBN-13: 978-1567935905; Publisher Health Administration Press.
- Quality Chasm Series: Patient Safety—Achieving a New Standard for Care, Institute of Medicine. (2004).
- The Team Handbook, 3rd edition, Peter Scholtes, Brian Joiner, & Barbara Streibel. (2004).
- The Lean Enterprises Memory Jogger, Richard L. Macinnes & Carolann Scherer (2011).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: www.ahrq.gov
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement: www.ihi.org/Pages/default.aspx
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices: www.ismp.org