Gain fundamental knowledge of healthcare quality through this online, self-paced program. HQ Principles: Across the Continuum is appropriate for those new to healthcare quality, or anyone seeking to refresh and improve their understanding of basic healthcare quality concepts.
HQ Principles: Across the Continuum introduces fundamental quality and patient safety principles, methodologies, and concepts that enable professionals working in healthcare quality to expand their knowledge and integrate quality into practice settings.
- Interactive content and narration
- Case study scenarios
- Pre-and-post assessments
- Participant Workbook
HQ Principles: Across the Continuum includes:
- Quality improvement tools that can be used for quality improvement projects
- Case studies that demonstrate healthcare improvement projects and the use of quality tools across the care continuum
- Information on data visualization tools
- Downloadable participant workbook
What is awarded upon successful completion of the course?
Participants who complete the program (80% on the post test) and complete all six modules of the online program will earn a certificate of completion. HQ Principles is not a credentialing program. It may not be utilized behind your name or in your signature line.
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the American Association of Neuroscience Nurses, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation; credit for this course will expire on March 8, 2025.
Program Outline & Learning Objectives
Module 1: The Evolution of Healthcare Quality
- Define quality in terms of healthcare
- Describe the synergies between Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement
- Link knowledge of legislative mandates, regulatory agencies, accreditation processes, and transparency to understanding how the consumer makes an informed choice.
Module 2: Principles of Quality Improvement
- Identify the key principles of Quality Improvement: Structure and Scope; Governance and Leadership; Customer Focus and Feedback; Systems, Data, and Monitoring; and Teamwork.
Module 3: The Elements of Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI)
- Understand the key elements of QAPI:
- Element 1: Design & Scope
- Element 2: Governance & Leadership
- Element 3: Feedback, Data Systems & Monitoring
- Element 4: Performance Improvement Projects (PIPs)
- Element 5: Systematic Analysis & Systemic Action
Module 4: Performance and Process Improvement
- Identify different Quality Improvement methods
- Describe the Plan Do Study Act method and be able to discuss an example
Module 5: Using Data to Make Decisions
- Describe the importance of data and measurement in healthcare quality
- Develop knowledge of Root Cause Analysis and when to use it
- Identify basic QI data tools and when to use them
Module 6: Teamwork at All Levels of the Organization
- List key factors for successful quality improvement teams
- Describe different brainstorming methods
- Describe the importance of effective change management
Module 7: Putting it all Together: Driving Healthcare Quality into the Future
- Connect key concepts of modules together
- Identify the drivers of healthcare quality
- Describe your role in healthcare quality
Module 8: Scenarios
- Case studies on healthcare quality in the following care settings:
- Behavioral health
- Hospice & end of life
- Long term care & skilled nursing
- Managed care organizations
Continuing Education hours for this activity have been approved by the following:
The National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ) is accredited as a provider of CPHQ Continuing Education (CE). NAHQ’s CPHQ prep products are an optional resource for candidates seeking to prepare for the CPHQ Examination. Using NAHQ’s CPHQ prep products does not guarantee candidates will pass the CPHQ Examination.
This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by the Virginia Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. There are no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies for those with the ability to control the content of this activity. Nursing contact hours will be awarded for completion of this activity until March 8, 2025.
Criteria for successful completion includes completion of all modules that comprise this course, achieving 70% or higher on the post-test, and submission of the post-course evaluation.
For on-demand web based products: Web browser and internet connection; pop-up windows enabled; computer equipped with audio output (speakers or headphones).
For permission requests or proper usage information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the publisher at the address below:
National Association for Healthcare Quality
8600 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Suite 710 N
Chicago, IL 60631
Copyright © by the National Association for Healthcare Quality. All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the United States Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced or distributed in any form or by any means, including but not limited to the process of scanning and digitization, or stored in a database or retrieval system without the prior written permission of the publisher.
6.0 CPHQ credits
6.0 CNE credits
$266.00 - Members
$373.00 - Nonmembers
Middle Tennessee State University Collaborates wit...Read More