Important Notice: NAHQ has published an updated version of the CPHQ exam content outline resulting from our most recent job task analysis. The new exam content will take effect on March 15, 2023. View the CPHQ Exam Update for more information on the updated exam.
Includes structure, integration, regulatory, accreditation, external recognition, education, training and communication.
Performance and process improvement (PPI)
Includes identification of improvement opportunities, implementation, and evaluation.
Health data analytics
Includes design and data management; measurement and analysis.
Includes assessment and planning; implementation and evaluation.
Save on Your Certification
NAHQ members save on CPHQ prep, certification and recertification fees. Become part of the NAHQ community.
CPHQ exam questions are created based on information in a variety of publications and resources. You can find a list in the CPHQ Candidate Handbook or review our external CPHQ resources.
Each question is designed to test if candidates possess the knowledge necessary to perform the task and can apply it to a job situation.
Be sure to review the candidate handbook before you start the certification process.
The National Association for Healthcare Quality is pleased to announce the following are recognized as Authorized Training Organizations (ATO): Gazelles Management Consultancy, PrimeXperts Consultancy, Training LLC, Wave Health Consultancy, and Zakaria Zaki Al-Attal, PhD, RN, CPHQ, CPPS. Recognition as an ATO assures:
- An ATO is a NAHQ-recognized, trustworthy, and standardized resource for CPHQ certification exam preparation and education seekers.
- An ATO provides quality education that supports CPHQ exam candidate success.
- ATO students receive special pricing on study materials and the CPHQ exam.
NAHQ is not accepting applications for new ATO’s. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a listing of NAHQ ATO CPHQ Review Courses please visit NAHQ’s Calendar of Events.
Plan Your Time
Most candidates with healthcare quality experience have reported spending six weeks to three months in preparation. Candidates should take into account their own education and experience while planning their path to earning the CPHQ.
Other Ways to Prepare
There are many ways to prepare for the exam. NAHQ’s resources are an optional recourse for candidates looking to prepare and using NAHQ’s resources does not guarantee candidates will pass the CPHQ exam.
View NAHQ’s CPHQ prep products.
HQCC's Position on Exam Prep
The Healthcare Quality Certification Commission (HQCC), NAHQ’s certifying arm, does not develop, administer, sponsor or endorse any type of preparatory materials, they do recommend you review the resources available to prepare for studying for the CPHQ exam.
CPHQ Prep FAQs
- This varies by individual depending on the level of experience in the field and study habits. Based on a recent survey of candidates, on average, candidates spend 6 weeks to 3 months preparing.
- The exam is built from the results of a job analysis that provides objective data to validate the relevance of exam content. This ensures that we maintain the CPHQ exam’s significance while addressing the changing, dynamic environment of healthcare quality. A job analysis is conducted every 3-5 years and surveys the full spectrum of employment settings.
- The results of the job analysis inform the content outline for the CPHQ exam – to ensure job tasks covered in the exam are current and relevant in today’s environment.
- The current content outline that the exam covers can be found here.